New Years 2014 Here We Come

New Years 2014 Here We Come

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Making a Hard decision:

        My disease has really been progressing, even after being on 6MP for 8 weeks. So, my doctor gave me two choices: a medicine called Remicade given in the hospital through IV or a therapy called Interal Therapy. I was really thinking about the interal therapy but really had many questions.  I also thought alot about the pros and the cons. It would help me gain weight and also it would give me a lot of nutrition. There are a few others but those two are the big ones. I just have a lot of questions and need to do a lot of research. But, I also do have questions for you.  If anyone is reading this that has had interal therapy please comment so I could ask some questions. If you don't know what interal therapy is and how it can help people with Crohn's, check out the link. Many girls I have read about say that interal therapy has really helped them but, they have had to make some serious life changes.  Read more of their stories here.  (Hope it helps)

7 comments:

  1. Hi, Soph! I went to college with your mom...

    My mom takes Remicade for her arthritis. It helps for that. She says it lowers her immune system, so she's had the flu and pneumonia shots and does things like get lots of sleep to stay healthier.

    I don't know--she's also 70 and doesn't exercise or do much (not good for arthritis!), and she's had Rheumatoid arthritis for about 50 years. I think that all plays into her health, too.

    Have faith!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To my Phia-
    This blog is so cool. I just want to tell you how proud I am of you. The latest news from the doc is not what any of us wanted to hear but with God's help, we will work through this TOGETHER. Have courage, take a deep breath. We'll get through this.
    Love you.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! My name is Isabelle. I'm one of the past honorees for team challenge. Your mom wrote on my blog. It's so great that you started this blog! Keeping my blog has really helped me throughout my treatment.
    I have been doing enteral therapy since last december off and on, and I would be more than happy to talk to you about it! I am also on Remicade, and might be adding 6MP, so we could talk about those too if you want! My full name is Isabelle Linguiti if you have a facebook, or you can e-mail me at ilinguiti@gfsnet.org, or write on my blog: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/isabellelinguiti if you want to talk! You will get through this. I know it's scary! If I can do anything to help let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sophia - I am so proud of you for starting this blog! It will be a great way for you to de-stress, get your thoughts out there, and you know that any writing makes me happy! You are so strong and as I see you work hard everyday I am inspired by you! Together with your Dr.'s and parents you will get through this and everyone at school is here for you! I subscribed so I can keep reading what you write! Great job!

    ~ Mrs. Kopp

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stay strong Sophia! You will inspire so many people for so many different reasons! I am inspired already! Sending my love.....keep smiling that beautiful smile! Xo Tara

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sophia,

    My name is Chrissy and my sister, Denise (employeed at Salon Amici) had forwarded me your blog in which was sent by your grandmother. Salon Amici has been sponsoring Cut-A-Thons for the past 3 years and this year they will be doing a Fashion Show to raise money for research on Crohn's and Colitis for the CCFA.

    I am contacting you because I have had crohns disease for 15 years now. I am 33 years old, married, and have 2 children.

    Here is my story in short, I was diagnosed when I was supposed to get my license (on my 17th birthday), was put on pentasa (I think it was like 4 pills every 6 hours or something) I didnt pay much attention as I was in denial that I had such a disease (not knowing much about it either). 2 years later my disease progressed, I lost a lot of weight in a short amount of time and had major abdominal pain. I underwent intestinal resectioning surgury, was in remission for 4 years. Then I was put back in the hospital again for loosing a lot of weight very quickly. I then started Remicade Therapy (2002) with 6mp and was also put on TPN for a few weeks to gain some weight (I think i was in the hospital for 3 - 4 weeks). I have been on Remicade since then and have had minimal issues.

    I definitly understand what you are going through and would be happy to talk to you about anything you want to talk about, the disease, life changes, etc. Feel free to contact me via email @ chrissycumberton@gmail.com.

    You will get through this, be strong and keep smiling cause one day they will have a cure! :)

    ReplyDelete