New Years 2014 Here We Come

New Years 2014 Here We Come

Friday, February 10, 2012

Hospital Time

               Well yesterday was an absolutely terrible day. It all started when my dad gave me my antibiotics because I now have Strep Throat. Then, he explained that he would be gone for only a few hours because he was giving my uncle a ride to the airport. Normally I would have just gone back to sleep, but after he left at 10:30 I started to get a major headache. It felt like someone was driving a nail behind my left eye and the pain was making me very nauseous. I was home alone and the pain was getting worse and I didn't know what to do. My dad wasn't going to be home for at least another two hours and my mom was working and I couldn't reach her by phone! I was starting to cry because I had no clue what I was going to do and I needed my mom or dad. I had just got off the phone with my dad and he told me if you have to throw up don't worry about it, just go in the bathroom. That wasn't exactly all that I was worrying about. I was worried about my tube coming out. My dad said not to fight the urge to throw up. If the tube came out, we could just put it back in now that I knew how to. So, right after I got off the phone with my dad I went straight into the bathroom. I threw-up numerous times, about four times in the first round alone. Thankfully, my tube stayed in and I was really relieved about that.


                After my first round, I went down stairs and got a couple of things. I went into my kitchen and got a bucket to throw-up into, tissues, my cell phone and finally a home phone. I moved everything to the recliner in my living room. I propped myself up and turned on the television. I was hoping to get my mind off of my stomach and headache. So, I watched the price is right and the volume of course was turned down low. I spoke to my dad many times and he assured me that he was rushing home as soon as he could. Both he and I left many messages for my mom which thankfully she got. Her ringer had been turned off because she was teaching a class and she didn't realize that we were trying to reach her. As soon as my mom saw all of the missed calls, she called back and rushed home right away. I was relieved that one of my parents was coming home. Then, I felt it coming up again. I burped which led to gagging which led to throwing up ... round two.


              I threw up several more times in round two. It was absolutely terrible. My mom finally got home and emptied the bucket, I was too weak to get up and do anything. Later I sort of just hung out in the chair for a little. The headache was still there and so was the nausea. I knew I wasn't done throwing up. My mom called my Crohn's doctor to explain what was happening. My doctor was concerned that I was getting dehydrated and told my mom to get me to the Emergency Room. After my mom got off the phone, round three came. I threw-up again and it seemed as though it wasn't going to stop. I knew if I didn't get rid of my headache, I wasn't going to stop throwing up.


               As round three came to an end, my dad walked in the house. My mom and dad went into the kitchen to wait to hear back from the doctor. She called back and said Dr. Coswell is waiting for you in the emergency room. My mom then talked to my dad about a couple of things and had something quick to eat. I decided to put my head underneath the dark covers and shut my eyes. It was the first time I was able to shut my eyes since 10:30 in the morning. I sort of fell asleep and then my mom woke me up and said "Come on babe we have to go to the hospital." I was freaking out because I didn't want to go into the car. But, we put a bucket in the car, and then got everything thing else ready and left. I got even more sick in the car. I was really in a lot of pain, and the fact that it was a very bright, sunny day didn't make it any better. The drive over seemed to take FOREVER, but we finally arrived at the hospital. Dad dropped mom and I off at the E.R. entrance and went and parked the car. We signed in and I got my blood pressure taken and my temperature. The woman at the front desk then escorted us to my room. I laid down and then the doctor came in and we figured out what I was going to get. Next, the nurse came in and gave me an IV needle. From that she took 3 vials of blood and hooked me up to some fluids. I was pretty stable but my headache was still there.


                 The nurse gave me medication for my headache, which turned out to be a migraine. She also gave me medication for my nausea, and lastly an antibiotic for Strep Throat. All of those treatments were given through my I.V. The medicine made me feel tired and loopy and although I hate that feeling, at least my headache and nausea was going away. I almost fell asleep and then another doctor came in and talked to my parents. I was really thirsty so I asked her for some apple juice. After drinking my apple juice, I woke up a little and watched some T.V. I got my blood pressures taken again and I was starting to feel better. After a little while longer I was able to leave. I was still not 100% but I felt much better, and more important, my migraine was gone. All in all I spent about 3 hours throwing up and about 5 hours in the emergency room. What a way to spend the day.


              My doctor wrote me some prescriptions for my nausea and said if you get another migraine to take Tylenol or Motrin and nap. See that's what I tried to do in the beginning but, I threw up the Tylenol and I wasn't able to shut my eyes. After a long day, I went home and up to my room. I had an Italian Ice and watched the Backup Plan. Overall it was a horrible day and I pray that I never have another day like it ... in my life!

2 comments:

  1. In as much as I LOVE spending quality time with you and your mom, I'd rather NOT do it at the emergency room. Love you, and glad you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. um....yuck

    Glad to hear you are home and feeling better though

    ReplyDelete