New Years 2014 Here We Come

New Years 2014 Here We Come

Monday, January 30, 2012

New Tube, New Side

              Yesterday was Saturday the 28th and I had an appointment with my home healthcare nurse Tracy, to change my tube. I am not going to lie, although I had it in once before I was still nervous about changing my tube again. Can you believe it, it has already been 4 weeks since we started Enteral Therapy! Well it was almost time. Tracy was coming to the house at 4:00 and it was 3:55. The dogs were barking, Tracy was here and it was now time to change the tube. I was getting REALLY NERVOUS.

However, I knew that because Tracy does it so fast, it would be over and done with in about a minute. Then, the words that came out of Tracy's mouth really took me by surprise. She said "Okay, you need to go and get your little mirror because YOU ARE PUTTING THE TUBE IN YOURSELF." EXCUSE ME ... WHAT DID YOU SAY? Yes, Tracy just told me I had to put the tube in myself. I was like REALLY, and I just could not believe what I just heard?

Still not believing what I had to do, I went upstairs and grabbed my mirror, went back into my kitchen and sat down. I had to put the tube in my left nostril so that I could give my right nostril a break. After a few tries, I realized that the tube kept on getting stuck in the same spot. I was ready to cry I was really upset and now my nose was irritated which made getting it in even harder. My mom even had to leave the room, she was ready to cry.

Then, I tried one more time and still nothing. This just wasn't working, but I was going to give it one last try. This time I twisted and pushed and again it got stuck. Finally, my dad told me to push it up and helped me to get it past the part where it kept getting stuck. IT WORKED! Once you get it through your nose, it's easy. Then you just push it down. It was really stressful, but I did it and I am proud of myself! Well at the end it was all good because I got a monkey sticker to put on my face. Now I can say that I put the tube in and took it out all by myself ..... hahaha bye!

9 comments:

  1. Great Job Sophia!! I want to see you wearing that monkey sticker! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next time, we'll use my drill. It will be much faster ... LOL. Just remember: Breathe, swallow, twist, push, repeat! Great job baby, I'm REALLY proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Job - it sounds like it was a pretty difficult few minutes. Just remember that you did it. There is a lot of strength that you'll be able to take out of this one day.

    In the meantime it gives you all sorts of time to read your history book from cover to cover...

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK...I will say it...EWWWWWW! But you DID it! That's what counts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excuse Mr. Gilmartin, it gives her alot of time to read her novels and improve her writing skills!
    Love the sticker, Sophia. You are very brave and have a wonderful support system at home. Next time I want to taste the meatloaf your dad was making. lol. See you next Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. so proud of you sophia :) you are a beautiful strong girl! Miss you lots and cannot to read more!

    love,
    (your most amazing cousin)

    Lauren :)

    ReplyDelete